Verses from atop the Mountain by Giftus R. John

I simply loved this book.

At first it seemed a bit exotic to me: there are some words in a language I don't know, the ocean, beaches at night and palm trees. But the poems were easy to understand, about things and feelings we also experience in my country: respect for your culture, emigration of the young, the fear of losing them, love, pain after the death of a loved one, children, God. I really enjoyed the poems about dancing with a beloved person, they seemed full of joy. I know almost nothing about the country Dominica, so I kept wondering, if the deeply moving poems about the imprisonment were connected with the current political situation of the country or the past, when many people on the island were slaves. I hope the author meant the past.

I think it was a great book, I really enjoyed it and I'm going to read another book by this author soon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Antigone in New York by Janusz Glowacki

weeks from 33 to 39

The end