The DUFF by Kody Keplinger

I have some mixed feelings about this book. I really enjoyed the first part of the book, I thought I'd give it five stars - but I quite hated the second part. I didn't like almost any of the characters. Finally I decided to give this book four stars, because I think that generally it was a fun read, but I'm not sure if I'll try reading any other book by this author in the future.

It's a story of a 17-year-old Bianca, who has some serious issues - her parents are getting divorced, her father has a drinking problem and her friends are much prettier and more popular that she is. She feels the ugly duckling of the group and being called the DUFF - the designated ugly fat friend - by the most popular boy at school doesn't help. To stop thinking about all of this Bianca gets into a strictly sexual relationship with Wesley and, obviously, fells in love with him.

Bianca's parents are horrible. Her mother is a joke - always absent, she just sends her husband divorce papers one day. She never calls to Bianca, not once through the entire book. Her father is either boring when sober or a raging monster when drunk. 

Bianca is also a terrible person, to tell you the truth. She breaks up with her friends, doesn't want to spend time with them, doesn't talk to them - and then she's surprised, because they feel hurt. She escapes from Wesley and ignores him, though it's obvious he wants to talk to her and he didn't do anything wrong. She keeps calling him a pig and a womaniser, but it's her who jumps from one person's bed to the other's, not him. Bianca is horrible.

I quite liked Wesley, but I had a feeling that we don't know him too well. I think Jessica was cute and I really liked her. "Perfect" Toby was so boring and lacking in passion, that I wanted to roll my eyes. 

Aa I said, I'm not going to read this book in the future ever again and I doubt I'll try any other book by this author, but it was an interesting book and I'm glad I read it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Antigone in New York by Janusz Glowacki

weeks from 33 to 39

The end